Wednesday, November 26, 2014

School Daze...

Clever no?  No?!  FINE!

Thing 1 is in 4th grade.  She decided NOT to do band this year because it takes her out of the class for a certain time of day and she is responsible for making up that time and that freaked her out and she didn't want to do it.  Next year I am hoping that she changes her mind a little.  Unfortunately, after meeting her teacher, I feel THIS year would have been the best time to see if she wants to do orchestra/band.  She is very timid and doesn't like the thought of people looking at her, even if I convinced her she would be lost in the crowd.  I told her about choir when I was in High School..she is still not convinced. I am clearly in error here. Fine.  But check THIS out...her after school program is doing a pagaent and her grade is putting on a play and singing a song.  For the play, she is doing set up for sets and props... I am so proud!  She did say she wouldn't mind being the narrator...I can see in my head right now the kind of narrator she would be... I think this is the best choice.  The narrator is not meant to read the script off of a paper with their head down, mumbling, and then RUN off the stage...  see what I mean?

The parent teacher conference that I always have in October with her teacher was, as always, fabulous.  Doing above average, yet still a B student because she just doesn't overachieve.  It's not her style.  Under the radar suits her to a T and that's where she will stay.  The books her teacher has her reading are advanced and she even asked me if I had something more advanced at home because she's basically at a 6th grade reading level.  Takes after her mom, what can I say?!

Right now she's reading the Rick Riordan books and she loves them.  She got pieces of two sets from a relative. I am using the library to fill in the blanks. I am in love with our County library system.  I can get books at the library by work and have them sent to there from all over the county.  And if Dad needs a book, I have them sent to our local home branch from all over the county.  It's AMAZING!  I need to show him how to do that, that reminds me...

I am so happy that I can trust her to do her homework on her own, and I was really leary about the teacher at first, but at Back To School night I knew me and this lady were on the same page.  It feels so good, to walk through a day in the life of a mom...working, driving, banking, shopping, and NOT worrying about how my oldest is doing in school.  Of all the things, it's nice not to worry about THAT thing when there are so many others going on...  I know what it means to want to lavish your child with rewards because they did above and beyond expectation, but at the risk of spoiling, I didn't.  We DID do something a little special.  We got some books.  I think the reward fits the...crime?  Hmm, how would I word that better?  eh... anyways...

Finns is the latest addition to our family...the family fish.  A Betta that's red and blue and she just had to have it, to replace the one she killed that Noni gave her because she didn't feed him enough or she fed him too much.  The jury is still out on that, but we'll know more when we get the toxicology report....

Too much SVU... That's what she said "Too bad we can't test the fish like on that show..."  Oh geez... time to get a new show kiddo...hehehe...  well, that's all for school... Thing 2 is so far from school it's not funny...what with her bday being in January... hey, she was planned, just not THAT well planned...  Like, 80% planned...  that 20% was not accounting for time of year born...

No comments:

Post a Comment